From: SWAC Parents' Board
A few points of information as we begin our season:
We are looking forward to another great season with many new and returning swimmers!
- Our coaching staff for 2014-2015:
Girls: head coach – Bizzy Millen, assistant coach – Kristin Mack
- SWAC will be hosting our eighth annual invitational swim meet this season. We are asking all SWAC swimmers 14 and younger to attend. We will need plenty of parent volunteers during the meet which promises to be a great fund-raiser for our team. Please mark your calendars now for this fun meet – Sunday, November 9th at CB South. (Meet details will be posted online shortly and will be on the bulletin board at CB South when practices begin. Online, team members should view the flyer and events list and recognize that the deadline in the flyer relates to the external deadline for other teams in the league…the internal SWAC registration deadline is Friday, October 17th.) When invitational registration becomes available that will be communicated.
- Practices begin on October 6 and practice times are posted on the team website (look in the schedules/results section). Recall that these practice times are for swimmers who swim with SWAC only NOT for swimmers who swim with CBST and also do SWAC meets. CBST swimmers must follow the practice schedule on the CBST team website and may not attend any practices listed on the SWAC team website. Note that conflict dates (dates when practice is normally scheduled but cannot be held) are listed on the swim practice page. There are two conflict date coming up soon: ***no practice*** on Wednesday, October 15th and Friday, October 17th.
- At CB East, the door by the pool is our entry and exit point. At CB South, the doors by the pool will typically be open and may be used to enter and exit. If the pool area doors are not open, the gym/cafeteria doors may be used. No doors should be propped open at any time for any reason.
- Invitational registration for SWAC swimmers is completed on-line. A detailed message about invitational meets will follow shortly.
- Please be sure to check your family folder and the bulletin board (both will be available by the second week of practice) each time you attend practice at CB South. Also visit our website (www.cbswim.org) frequently for the latest information. Contact Jen Steinberg (parent board president) if there is a problem with your family folder in the box (don’t have one, name misspelled, etc.).
- There will be a parents’ meetings at CB South on Tuesday, October 7th at 7pm in the forum. Please try to attend this meeting as important information will be covered. Another meeting will be held before the meet season begins to answer any questions that may arise. Note that to get to the forum walk from the pool area toward the cafeteria, pass the cafeteria on your right then turn right. Proceed through the doors and the forum will be on your left after a short while.
- The website is being updated as information for this season becomes available. Please be careful when viewing information on the site to look for dates so you know if it is current or past season. The practice schedule is posted. It is possible that the practice schedule will change after the first few weeks. This allows the coaches to assess practice attendance patterns and make any changes necessary to improve practices. Practice times at CB South will shift one hour later in mid-November regardless of what the schedule is at that point. We are in the process of confirming meet times with all of our opponents and will have those posted on the website calendar as soon as they are known.
- Time trials will be held on Sautrday, October 18th for all SWAC swimmers (including SWAC swimmers who also swim for CBST). Details will follow on the bulletin board and website and via blog posting.*See FYI note below.*
- SWAC training for various volunteer positions will take place during time trials. Our girls’ and boys’ reps will provide a volunteer schedule to communicate who will be trained at each session.
- League training dates for stroke and turn judges and starter/referees will be posted on the bulletin board and on the website shortly. ) One of each type of training will be held at CB South as follows: 10/14 Stroke and Turn, 10/16 Starter/Referee. All trainings are at 7pm. Please attend a training session at our pool or another pool if interested in these positions. Please let the girls’ and/or boys’ swim reps know if you have attended.
Girls: Cyndi Zglenski –email@example.com
Boys: Karen Wallace – firstname.lastname@example.org
- The team suit is available at Personal Best in Montgomeryville (411 Doylestown Road, Montgomeryville). It will again be a solid blue suit. While most suit sizes will be available for purchase at the store, to ensure that you have your suit for the first meet, please get to the store by October 15th.
- The current team handbook is available on our website.
- Each week I will be updating the team via an email/blog post containing important information. While I’ll do my best to cover everything in this once-a-week message, sometimes circumstances (timing, importance, etc.) require that I send additional messages (this will be the case for the first 2-3 weeks!). Please read each message to keep informed…we recognize that it’s a lot of information but find everything runs more smoothly when people keep themselves as informed as possible.
- There are SWAC items available for sale. A detailed message about these items will follow.
- We will again be using the swimmer’s portal this year.
- I hope everyone is enjoys the first week of practice!
Time Trials are held in order for the coaches to get a base-line time for each swimmer in each event. Time trials are run like a meet in that the event order of a meet is followed. Each swimmer swims each event for his/her age group. While there is no other team, time trials is a good way for first-time swimmers to get an idea of what a meet is like. The times from time trials will also be used as base times in the determination of personal best times for distribution of personal best ribbons. Attendance at time trials is expected. Note, however, that high school swimmers should not attend.