Please visit your team sites for practice times, locations, parent's meeting date, and calendars. (CBAC www.cbwave.org or SWAC www.cbswim.org ). Not all information is posted at this time but it is being posted as soon after it becomes available as possible and emails will come out from your parent boards shortly. Coaching information will be communicated at your parent meetings early in the season. Please hold non-urgent questions until after the parent board emails come out as much is answered below and much will be answered in those emails and, as you can imagine the CBCS staff and volunteer parent boards are very busy at this time of the season. Swim practices begin Tuesday, October 4th and dive practices begin Thursday, October 6th.
It is important that you read this message (and all communications from CBCS personnel and your volunteer parent boards) in full. There is a lot of communication to manage but we’ve found that our most successful and happy swim families read the information so they know what is going on. In this message there are many rules and procedures that must be followed so please read all the way to the end.
We are so happy to have many return members and lots of new participants this year! Please remember these tips to help make the season fun for everyone:
- Our dual (Saturday) meets are the main competitions for our teams and all members are expected to attend. While our coaches and other team members understand an occasional conflict, it is not fair to other team members or coaches if some participants consistently miss these meets. High school aged participants – this is often especially true in your age groups – please come as often as you are able and remember that you’ll receive a thank-you gift from your parent board if you participate in at least three dual meets. Team members in grades 8 and below – we hope you’ll attend all seven dual meets but require a minimum of three of the five November/December dual meets to keep your spot on the team and, of course, attendance at the January dual meets (which are like our play-offs/championships) is expected. All participants must attend at least two of the five November/December dual meets in order to be eligible (league rule) to swim/dive in the January dual meets and league individual championships (should they qualify).
- Always keep a positive attitude (even if we do have a meet or two with low numbers in attendance) – focus on time-drops or improved diving scores rather than the score of the meet and who was missing. Your kids will take their ques from you about what’s really important.
- Encourage your swimmers to be up off the benches at meets when they are not competing, cheering for teammates. The coaches will be strongly encouraging our swimmers this season to leave electronics at home, with a parent, or in their bag at meets to keep the devices safe and the participants engaged. This is a team sport and the more involved the kids are the more fun it will be for everyone.
- Attendance at every practice is not required. Swim team members should plan to attend a minimum of three practices per week. Developmental swim team members should plan to attend two or three practices per week. Divers should plan to attend all three practices per week if at all possible. Coaches understand if some weeks attendance is more difficult than others – don’t make swim/dive a source of stress. Just understand that participants who attend fewer than the minimum recommended number of practices may not progress as they would hope and may become discouraged and may feel less a part of the team.
- During the first couple weeks of swim practice, it will take the coaches longer to get everyone organized while they get to know the kids and the kids learn where they swim in each pool. By mid-October everyone should be in the swing of things and swimmers will be in the water for their full practice times.
- Developmental swim team members – all of the information in this message pertinent to swimmers applies to you. In general unless specifically noted, all swimming information applies to developmental team members as well. Developmental team practice schedule is listed on your website. Developmental team members will be contacted near the end of October regarding meet participation.
- Any new swim or dive member – if you participated with another team in our league (SAL) team last winter season, please let me know immediately by replying to this email.
Policies and Procedures:
- Please note that parents are NOT ALLOWED in the locker rooms under any circumstances. High school students may be using the locker rooms related to high school activities. It is important that adults (including parents) not be in the locker room for the safety of all program participants and other student athletes. Coaches will be sweeping the locker rooms before, in between, and after practices. Nothing should be left in the locker rooms. Athletes should place all belongings into their bags, zip the bag fully shut, and bring it out onto deck and leave it there for the duration of practice. Please speak with your swimmers/divers about appropriate locker room behavior:
- No horseplay or physical contact should occur.
- Lockers are not to be used at any time as they lock and you will not be able to retrieve any items placed into them.
- Speak at a reasonable volume and speak respectfully to everyone.
- Do not touch anyone else or anyone else’s possessions.
- Move with care (remember swimmers and the floor are wet).
- Locker room time should be short (10-15 minutes at the most) - kids may need to be reminded often to stay focused on the task at hand.
- Get a coach if anything inappropriate is occurring, even if they are not involved – tell them they should help stop issues before they escalate, rather than waiting for problems to happen and seeing our friends unhappy based on the consequences.
- Remind your participants often of these behavior expectations which are required at all times – on the deck and in the locker rooms.
2. The use of cell phones and other mobile devices with recording capabilities, including voice recording, still cameras and video cameras is prohibited in locker rooms, rest rooms, and other changing areas.
3. If you prefer that your child not use the locker rooms with the other swimmers/divers please have him/her dry off completely and meet you in the hallway outside of the pool before escorting them to the appropriate bathrooms located down the hall from the pool in each building.
4. Please make sure your swimmers and divers are dry and have shoes on when in the hallways of the schools.
5. Please refer to the CB Aquatics Locker Room, Anti-Bullying and Communications policies on the CB Community School Aquatics website (also accessible through your team website).
6. Swimmers and divers should arrive about 5-10 minutes prior to the start time of practice in order to be ready to go at the scheduled start time. They should wait in the hallway outside of the pool ready to get into the water as soon as the coach comes to get them. They will be sent directly to the locker rooms after practice.
7. Parents/siblings should go straight to the balcony. Please do not go on deck to speak with the coaches. If you have a question or concern please email the appropriate board member, if it is a question they can answer for you, or the head coach. If you have any concerns please email me immediately.
8. Parents should not coach their children from the balcony (or otherwise). We are in one of the few youth sports that provides professional coaching – please trust that the coaches are competent and leave the coaching to them. If your child looks to you for approval/attention/anything during practices, it is likely to cause them to miss important instructional information and/or disrupt the practice for themselves, other participants, and coaches. If this is an issue for your swimmer please do not remain in the balcony during practices.
9. Videotaping of practices is prohibited.
10. Please remember that behavior should mimic typical school day behavior. No running, climbing on tables, etc. Playing with balls in the building is prohibited. Siblings of team members must stay with their parents at all times. No children should be running or roaming the halls at any time. Swimmers and their families are to be in the pool area (balcony or pool hallways) and should only go to the cafeteria area to use the restrooms or vending machines. Swimmers and their families are not to be in the gymnasiums at any time.
11. The doors close to the pool at CB South will generally be open and may be used to enter/exit the building. If they are not open, please enter through the main Gymnasium doors. No doors should be propped open at any time.
12. Please enter the pool hallway off Anderson Road to access the CB East pool at all times. Do not use the front doors.
13. All swimmers should follow their appropriate practice schedule. In other words, CBAC/SWAC only swimmers should NOT BE attending CBST practices. CBST swimmers should ONLY ATTEND CBST practices even if they are also registered with CBAC or SWAC.
The practice schedule for October through November 18th is listed below. Starting November 21st and through the end of the season, the times at CB South for swimming shift one hour later. Please remember that it is always crowded the first two weeks! We are not splitting the boys and girls up as we have done in some past years. If we find that the pool is too crowded after week two we will re-evaluate so please think carefully about which nights your swimmer will practice – there is nothing special about attending day 1 so if Tuesdays won’t be your “normal” night, no need to be there that day. Also, it may seem to be a long way off but please make a note now that practices end on January 27th. Only athletes who qualify for league champs will have a modified practice schedule for the week of January 30th. Also note that there will modified practice schedules for the Thanksgiving and winter breaks, communicated through your parent board.
Spring swimming and diving clinic information is available at this link. http://www.cbsd.org/Page/2476
We also plan to again have the extended season swim clinic. At this time our intention is for this clinic to run for six weeks beginning on February 21st. Once it is time to register for this clinic (and coaches are identified and pool space confirmed), an informational email will be sent to current CBAC and SWAC participants. This information will not be posted on the website as the clinic is only for current season SWAC/CBAC swimming participants.
Initial Swimming Practice Schedule (CBAC & SWAC):
At CB East
Developmental team (all ages) – no practice
10 & Under – 6:30-7:30PM
11 & Up – 7:30-9PM
At CB South
Developmental team (all ages) – 5:30-6:30PM
10 & Under – 5:30-6:30PM
11 & Up – 6:30-8PM
At CB East
Developmental team (all ages) – 6:30-7:30PM
10 & Under – 6:30-7:30PM
11 & Up – 7:30-9PM
Diving Practice Schedule (CBAC & SWAC, pre-team and team)
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 6:30-8:00PM All diving practices are held at CB South.
Thanks for your cooperation and participation. The entire CB staff is looking forward to a great, fun season.